Life...

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

woops.

I went out to lunch today with two of my favorite people; Riley Hall and Juli Hueni. We were accompanied by a new friend from England, named Joe. She is here meeting with some people from peace at Saddleback which has something to do with the organization that she works with in England. She is a very cool. I hope you all get to meet her before she leaves. Anyway. I have done my fair share of traveling, but I have yet to experience the U.K. So I'm not very familiar with the vernacular that is used by our English friends. This will all be relevant, I promise. So we were driving and Riley said something to me and my response was "Ohhhh That pisses me off" and the look of concern on Riley's face was priceless. Riley (being an experienced U.K. traveler) said that "piss" or "pissed" is not a pleasant word in the U.K. and is actually considered a curse word. My curiosity got the best of me, so I asked Joe. Riley was totally correct. Joe tried to not make me feel bad, she said "its not a really bad word, you just wouldn't use it around certain company, especially Christians", GREAT that made me feel better. thanks Joe (just kidding). I then later learned that the word crap is also considered a curse would in the U.K. Who knew. I probably use that word 10 times a day. I hope my humiliation was insightful for you!

5 Comments:

Droopy's said...

Ahh Piss and Crap just mean going number 1 and number 2!!! Welcome to the blogworld.

Happy Blogging
Love Taffy

Riley said...

Welcome to the blog world! And thanks for the shout out.

Cami said...

Juli told me about this woman. I hope I get a chance to meet her!

Andrew said...

When I went on PEACE trip to London last summer I must have said crap 100 times. Good thing I wasn't a missionary or anything over there. ...oh wait. crap.

Jessica McKnight said...

John Stearns! Welcome to the blogging world my friend. Embarrassing stories make the best blogs... check out mine on Irrational Fears. It's a good one.

About Me